- AlphaGo article in October 2016 issue of OR/MS Today.
- Editor, Handbook of Simulation Optimization, Springer, 2015.
- Co-Editor (with Saul I. Gass), Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science, 3rd edition, Springer, 2013.
- National Science Foundation Operations Research Program Director: Sep.13, 2010 - Aug.24, 2012;
OR/MS Today articles about the Operations Research Program: part 1, part 2.
- Distinguished Scholar-Teacher, 2004-2005 , University of Maryland.
- Fellow of INFORMS and IEEE.
- Guest Co-Editor (with Barry L. Nelson), Special Issue on Simulation Optimization, ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation, 2003.
- 2002 Institute for Systems Research Outstanding Faculty Award.
- 1999 IIE Operations Research Division Award.
- 1998 INFORMS Simulation Society Outstanding Simulation Publication Award for the book,
Conditional Monte Carlo: Gradient Estimation and Optimization Applications(co-author Jian-Qiang Hu).
- 1998 IIE Transactions on Operations Engineering Best Paper Award, for the paper,
Optimization of Discrete Event Systems via Simultaneous Perturbation Stochastic Approximation (co-author Stacy Hill).