Dr. Sunil Mithas is a professor in the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland and the author of the books Dancing Elephants and Leaping Jaguars and Digital Intelligence: What Every Smart Manager Must Have for Success in an Information Age. He earned his PhD from the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan and an engineering degree from IIT, Roorkee. Before pursuing his PhD, he worked for nearly ten years in engineering, marketing, and general management positions with the Tata group.
He was identified as a 2011 MSI Young Scholar by the Marketing Science Institute. The MSI Young Scholar Program selects about 20 of "the most promising 'younger' (i.e., doctorate received 3-6 years ago) academics" and a "likely leader of the next generation of marketing academics" every two years.
Sunil is a frequent speaker at industry events for senior leaders. He has worked on research or consulting assignments with organizations such as Johnson & Johnson, Lear, A.T. Kearney, the Tata group, the Social Security Administration, and the U.S. Census Bureau.
Sunil’s research focuses on strategies for managing innovation and excellence for corporate transformation, focusing on the role of technology and other intangibles, such as customer satisfaction, human capital, and organizational capabilities. His research has appeared in premier journals, including Management Science, Marketing Science, Information Systems Research, MIS Quarterly, Journal of Marketing, and MIT Sloan Management Review. Some of this work has been featured in business publications such as Bloomberg, CIO, Computerworld, and InformationWeek. His papers have won best-paper awards and have received several best-paper nominations. He has also won the best reviewer award at an INFORMS conference.
- Mithas, S. 2015. Making the Elephant Dance: The Tata Way to Innovate, Transform and Globalize (Kindle version is available at http://www.amazon.in/dp/B012G9MSCA). New Delhi: Penguin Portfolio [This version of the book is adapted, retitled and published for the Indian Subcontinent in 2015 with a Foreword by Mr Ratan N. Tata based on my book "Dancing Elephants and Leaping Jaguars," published by Finerplanet in 2014 which is available at amazon.com outside India]
- Mithas, S. Dancing Elephants and Leaping Jaguars: How to Excel, Innovate, and Transform Your Organization the Tata Way Finerplanet, North Potomac, 2014
- Mithas, S. Digital Intelligence: What Every Smart Manager Must Have for Success in an Information Age, Finerplanet, North Potomac, 2012
Interview on MPTV about the "Digital Intelligence" book : Aired in August 2012
- Saldanha, T., Mithas, S., and Krishnan, M. S. 2015. "Leveraging Customer Involvement for Fueling Innovation: The Role of Relational and Analytical Information Processing Capabilities," MIS Quarterly (Conditional Acceptance)
- Mithas, S., Krishnan, M.S., and Fornell, C. "Information Technology and Customer Satisfaction 1994-2006: Theory and Evidence" Conditional Acceptance at Information Systems Research.
- Lariviere, B., Keiningham, T. L., Aksoy, L., Yalcin, A., Morgeson, F. V., and Mithas, S. 2015. "Satisfaction, Loyalty and Shareholder Value: Investigating industry and time effects," Journal of Marketing Research (Forthcoming)
- Mithas, S., and Arora, R. 2015. "Lessons from Tata's Corporate Innovation Strategy," IEEE IT Professional (17:2), pp. 2-6
- Kim, K., Mithas, S., Whitaker, J., and Roy, P.K. "Industry-specific human capital and wages: Evidence from the business process outsourcing industry" Information Systems Research (25:3) 2014, pp 618-638
- Sharma, R., Mithas, S., and Kankanhalli, A. "Transforming decision-making processes: A research agenda for understanding the impact of business analytics on organisations," European Journal of Information Systems (23:4) 2014, pp 433-441
- Gillon, K., Aral, S., Lin, C.-Y., Mithas, S., and Zozulia, M. "Business Analytics: Radical Shift or Incremental Change?, Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/cais/vol34/iss1/13," Communications of the Association for Information Systems (34) 2014, pp 287-296
- Han, K., and Mithas, S. "The Real Savings From IT Outsourcing, available at http://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/the-real-savings-from-it-outsourcing/," MIT Sloan Management Review (Winter) 2014
- Srivastava, S.C., Mithas, S., and Jha, B. "What is your global innovation strategy?," IEEE IT Professional (15:6, Nov-Dec) 2013, pp 2-6
- Mithas, S., Tafti, A.R., and Mitchell, W. "How a Firm’s Competitive Environment and Digital Strategic Posture Influence Digital Business Strategy," MIS Quarterly (37:2) 2013, pp 511-536
- Tafti, A., Mithas, S., and Krishnan, M.S. "The Importance of IT-Enabled Flexibility in Alliances," MIT Sloan Management Review (54:3) 2013, pp 13-14
- Han, K., and Mithas, S. "Information technology outsourcing and non-IT operating costs: An empirical investigation," MIS Quarterly (37:1) 2013, pp. 315-331
- Tafti, A., Mithas, S., and Krishnan, M.S. "The Effect of Information Technology Enabled Flexibility on Formation and Market Value of Alliances," Management Science (59:1) 2013, pp. 207-225
- Mithas, S. "Career Coach: Tips for boosting your digital IQ, available at http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/capitalbusiness/career-coach-tips...," in: Washington Post (Capital Business, 2 July 2012), Washington, DC, 2012
- Mithas, S., Tafti, A.R., Bardhan, I.R., and Goh, J.M. "The impact of IT investments on profits," MIT Sloan Management Review (53:3) 2012, p 15
- Mithas, S., Tafti, A.R., Bardhan, I.R., and Goh, J.M. "Information Technology and Firm Profitability: Mechanisms and Empirical Evidence," MIS Quarterly (36:1) 2012, pp. 205-224 (This paper also won "European Research Paper of the Year 2013 Award )
- Morgeson, F.V., Van Amburg, D., and Mithas, S. "Misplaced Trust? Exploring the Structure of the E-Government-Citizen Trust Relationship," Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory (21:2) 2011, pp 257-283
- Mithas, S., Ramasubbu, N., and Sambamurthy, V. " How Information Management Capability Influences Firm Performance," MIS Quarterly (35:1) 2011, pp 237-256
- Morgeson, F.V., Mithas, S., Keiningham, T.L., and Aksoy, L. "An Investigation of the Cross-National Determinants of Customer Satisfaction," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (39:2) 2011, pp 198-215
- Whitaker, J., Mithas, S., and Krishnan, M.S. "Organizational learning and capabilities for onshore and offshore business process outsourcing," Journal of Management Information Systems (27:3) 2011, pp 11-42
- Mithas, S., and Lucas, H.C. "What is your digital business strategy?," IEEE IT Professional (Nov-Dec) 2010, pp. 4-6
- Mithas, S., and Lucas, H.C. "Are Foreign IT Workers Cheaper? U.S. Visa Policies and Compensation of Information Technology Professionals," Management Science (56:5) 2010, pp 745-765.(Appeared as a lead research article)
- Fornell, C., Mithas, S., and Morgeson, F.V. "The Economic and Statistical Significance of Stock Returns on Customer Satisfaction," Marketing Science (28:5) 2009, pp 820-825.
- Morgeson, F.V., and Mithas, S. "Does E-Government Measure up to E-Business? Comparing End-User Perceptions of U.S. Federal Government and E-Business Websites," Public Administration Review (69:4) 2009, pp 740-752
- Mithas, S., and Krishnan, M.S. "From association to causation via a potential outcomes approach," Information Systems Research (20:2) 2009, pp 295-313
- Fornell, C., Mithas, S., and Morgeson, F. "The statistical significance of portfolio returns," International Journal of Research in Marketing (26:2) 2009, pp 162-163
- Mithas, S., Jones, J.L. and Mitchell, W. "Buyer intention to use Internet-enabled reverse auctions: The role of asset specificity, product specialization, and non-contractibility," MIS Quarterly (32:4) 2008, pp 705-724
- Ramasubbu, N., Mithas, S., Krishnan, M.S., and Kemerer, C.F. "Work Dispersion, Process-Based Learning and Offshore Software Development Performance," MIS Quarterly (32:2) 2008, pp. 437-458
- Mithas, S., and Krishnan, M.S. "Human Capital and Institutional Effects in the Compensation of Information Technology Professionals in the United States," Management Science, (54:3) 2008, pp. 415-428 (Appeared as a lead research article)
- Ramasubbu, N., Mithas, S., and Krishnan, M.S. "High-tech, High-touch: The Effect of Employee Skills and Customer Heterogeneity on Customer Satisfaction with Enterprise System Support Services"Decision Support Systems (44:2) 2008, pp. 509-523
- Bardhan, I.R., Mithas, S. and Lin, S. "Performance Impacts of Strategy, Information Technology Applications, and Business Process Outsourcing in US Manufacturing Plants," Production and Operations Management, (16:6) 2007, pp. 747-762
- Whitaker, J., Mithas, S., and Krishnan, M.S. "A Field Study of RFID Deployment and Return Expectations, " Production and Operations Management, (16:5) 2007, pp. 599-612
- Mithas, S. and Whitaker, J. "Is the World Flat or Spiky? Information Intensity, Skills, and Global Service Disaggregation," Information Systems Research, (18:3) 2007, pp. 237-259 (Appeared as a lead research article)
- Mithas, S. and Jones, J.L. "Do Auction Parameters Affect Buyer Surplus in E-Auctions for Procurement? " Production and Operations Management (16:4) 2007, pp. 455-470 (Appeared as a lead research article)
- Tafti, A., Mithas, S. and Krishnan, M.S. "Information Technology and Autonomy-Control Duality: Toward a Theory, " Information Technology and Management (8:2) 2007, pp. 147-166
- Mithas, S., Ramasubbu, N., Krishnan, M.S. and Fornell, C. "Designing Websites for Customer Loyalty across Business Domains: A Multilevel Analysis," Journal of Management Information Systems (23:3) 2006, pp. 97-127
- Bardhan, I.R., Whitaker, J. and Mithas, S. "Information Technology, Production Process Outsourcing and Manufacturing Plant Performance," Journal of Management Information Systems (23:2) 2006, pp 13-40 (Appeared as a lead research article)
- Mithas, S., Almirall, D. and Krishnan, M.S. "Do CRM Systems Cause One-to-one Marketing Effectiveness?" Statistical Science (21:2) 2006, pp 223-233
- Fornell, C., Mithas, S., Morgeson, F. and Krishnan, M.S. "Customer Satisfaction and Stock Prices: High Returns, Low Risk," Journal of Marketing (70:1) 2006, pp 3-14 (Appeared as a lead research article)
- Mithas, S., Krishnan, M.S. and Fornell, C. "Why Do Customer Relationship Management Applications Affect Customer Satisfaction?" Journal of Marketing (69:4) 2005, pp 201-209.
- Prahalad, C.K., Krishnan, M.S. and Mithas, S. "Customer Relationships: The Technology Customer Disconnect,"in: Optimize (December), 2002, pp. 63-70.
- Mithas, S., and Lucas, H.C. "Information Technology and Firm Value: Productivity Paradox, Profitability Paradox and New Frontiers," in: Information Systems and Information Technology (Volume II), H. Topi (ed.), Chapman & Hall/ CRC Press (Taylor and Francis Group), 2014
- Mithas, S., Almirall, D., and Krishnan, M.S."A potential outcomes approach to assess causality in information systems research," in: Economics, Information Systems and Electronic Commerce Research II: Advanced Empirical Methodologies, R.J. Kauffman and P.P. Tallon (eds.), ME Sharpe, Armonk, New York, 2009, pp. 63-85
Research related stories in Business Press and Magazines
The following articles in business press feature some of my research findings in a friendly and accessible language for non-academic audience. For a list of my academic articles, please see my CV.
- Bailey, D. M. 2015. "Rediscover an Organization’s Potential with the “Baldrige Criteria’s Power” (20 Jan 2015), available at http://nistbaldrige.blogs.govdelivery.com/2015/01/20/rediscover-an-organ... "
- Baldrige Performance Excellence Program (National Institute of Standards and Technology) "'Making an Elephant Dance': How the Baldrige Criteria Helped Transform a Global Conglomerate (5 Sept 2014), available at http://www.nist.gov/baldrige/tata.cfm," 2014
- Gatelier, A. "European Research Paper of the Year 2013, The Winner of the ERPOTY 2013 Award!, http://blog.cionet.com/2013/06/04/the-winner-of-the-erpoty-2013-award/ " in: CIONet (4 June 2013), 2013
- Thibodeau, P. "IT investments deliver profits, study finds, available at http://www.cio.com/article/703417/IT_Investments_Deliver_Profits_Study_F..., accessed 3 Apr 2012," in: CIO, 2012
- Dodge, J. "IT investments have greater impact on profitability than R&D or advertising, MIT reports , available at http://www.enterprisecioforum.com/en/blogs/jdodge/it-investments-have-gr..., accessed 3 Apr 2012," in: CIO Enterprise CIO Forum, 2012
- Overby, S. "H-1B Visa Holders Earn More Than U.S.-Born IT Professionals, Study Claims, available at http://www.cio.com/article/print/594381," CIO (May 20, 2010)) 2010.
- Wadhwa, V. "Why Policy Makers Should Review the Facts Before Marching to the Drumbeat of the Xenophobes, available at http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/29/why-policy-makers-should-review-the-facts/," TechCrunch (29 May 2010) 2010.
- Winner, R. " "IT and firm profitability (available at http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/research/ras/Oct2009/ITProfitability.html)," in: Research@Smith, 2008, pp. 6-7
- McGee, M.K. "Foreign IT Pros Working In U.S. Earning More Than Americans, available at http://www.informationweek.com/news/global-cio/h1b/showArticle.jhtml?art...," in: InformationWeek (April 28, 2009), 2009.
- "Value of MBA, available at http://rhsmith.umd.edu/smithbusiness/fall2008/knowledgetransfer/mbavalue...,"
- Winner, R. " "Could Your Job be Offshored (available at http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/research/ras/jan2008/onlineonly.mithas.html)," in: Research@Smith, 2008
- Wagner, D., "Success factors in outsourcing service jobs: Which jobs are good candidates for global disaggregation? " MIT Sloan Management Review (48:1) 2006, p. 7 (Available at http://sloanreview.mit.edu/smr/issue/2006/fall/03/)
- "Stock tips, Smith Business Magazine, Fall 2006 "
- Agarwal, S., "Increased customer satisfaction increases stock prices " in:Research@Smith (Available at http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/research/ras/spring2006/2.html), Spring 2006, p. 2
- Hoffman, Thomas, "An MBA Pays (And So Does a Y Chromosome)", Computerworld, July 4, 2005. (Available at http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&...)
- Sullivan, B.K., "Men Who Have MBAs Are Highest-Paid in Technology, Study Finds," in: Bloomberg (May 26, 2005), 2005
- Garvey, Martin J., "Is an MBA worth it?", InformationWeek (Issue number 1012; November 1, 2004), pp. 31-33.
- Chabrow, Eric, "Keep 'Em Happy" , InformationWeek (Issue 907, 23 September 2002), pp. 20-22.
Talks and Interviews
- Talk at National Management & IT Symposium on 10 Dec 2013 in Netherlands
- Keynote address to about 300 Indian CIOs at a highly-publicized DQ Live (http://dqlive.in/) conference on 12 Dec 2012 at Mumbai organized by a leading IT research and media company. The event and the address was organized around my research on the effect of IT on profits. [Here is a news article based on the above event : Shanbhag, S. "IT and business value - Over 300 CIOs attend DQ LIVE, http://www.dqindia.com/dataquest/feature/123163/it-business-value-over-3...," in: Dataquest (12 Dec 2012), 2012]
- Interview on MPTV about the book : Aired in August 2012
- app2us.com "Interview with Dr. Sunil Mithas, Professor and Author of the "Digital Intelligence" Book, available at http://www.app2us.com/interviews/sunil_mithas.htm," 2012
- Arford, A. "Sunil Mithas Releases New Book on Digital Intelligence, available at http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/news/stories/2012/MithasBook.aspx," 2012
- Interview on MPTV about the H-1B Visa paper : Aired in June 2010
Here is my SSRN author page that may have some working papers.