I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Decision, Operations, and Information Technologies at the Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland. I have a joint appointment with the Institute for Systems Research at UMD. I received my Ph.D. from Princeton University in 2011. I am a co-author (with W.B. Powell) of the book Optimal Learning, available on Amazon.com.
I work in the general area of business analytics, encompassing topics in optimization, probability, and statistics. More specifically, my research deals with decision-making under uncertainty, often with the additional dimension of information collection. Much of this work is theoretical and methodological, but I have also worked on applications in humanitarian/nonprofit operations, medical decision-making, revenue management, and transportation.
Some of my coauthors on recent publications:
- Ye Chen, Statistical Sciences and Operations Research, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Sanmay Das, Computer Science, Washington University in St. Louis
- Boris Defourny, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Lehigh University
- Mahyar Eftekhar, W.P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University
- Michael Fu, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland
- Liyi Gu, College of Business, Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen
- Nikola Marković, Civil Engineering, University of Utah
- Martijn Mes, Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems, University of Twente
- Warren Powell, Operations Research and Financial Engineering, Princeton University
- Wei Xie, Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Northeastern University
- Lei Zhao, Industrial Engineering, Tsinghua University